Thursday, October 7, 2010

Love the Riches, Lose the Rags

I found this article to be very interesting.  A mother takes a little girl to a see the Cinderella play and the little girl wonders why Cinderella is in rags and not her beautiful dress.  I believe the concept behind this thinking it’s necessarily Disney’s fault.  At a young age, I feel children don’t grasp the concept of being poor.  That there really are people in the world who live in rags and not all people own beautiful dresses and sit down to a dinner at a table every night.  Most parents prevent their children from seeing this and facing this reality.  I do believe that the little girl would rather see Cinderella in a big beautiful  ball gown rather than rags, but I don’t think at a young age they grasp the concept of being poor, and the when she has the big ball gown they don’t grasp the fact that she’s rich.  I don’t feel this is the fault of Disney because as we mentioned in class Disney’s audiences are at a younger age then attended for so they are not fully aware of what is going on in the movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment