Friday, October 15, 2010

"Hermaphrodites with Attitude"

Going into the nursing field I found the article “Hermaphrodites with Attitude” interesting.  I feel that this article gave a new perspective on hermaphrodites, especially the troubling consequences that the victim and its family must go through.  I do somewhat agree with the doctors in the case of giving it a single gender, although I definitely see the problem in doing so.  Is giving a baby a specific gender worth the consequences for the individual and family in the long run, and does the doctor really want to carry the weight on his shoulders knowing he/she could have assigned an individual the wrong gender.  The comparison that I found intriguing was the number of hermaphrodites to the number of cystic fibrosis patients, since I have a cousin with cystic fibrosis.  I think this article brought and new perspective and awareness to this basically all too common problem that a lot of us underestimate its number and are unfamiliar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment