Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Politics of Housework

In the article, “The Politics of Housework” by Pat Mainardi, I wonder if that’s what her husband really said or if that’s what she interpreted it as. I also get the feeling from the reading that they didn’t have children or maybe she didn’t have a full time job.  I believe if they both had a full-time job, her husband would see the difficulties in working and doing ALL of the housework.  As I stated with my group, my mother worked night shift at a hospital for some time so my father had to cook, clean, shower us kids, get us ready for bed and school.  He didn’t have much of a choice.  If we had a babysitter for the day she would do most of these things, but if they weren’t done my father would take it upon himself to do some of the chores.  I would probably be upset if a guy every said these things to me but then again the reading was from about 40 years ago so that does make a different how housework and raising children and who’s responsibility it was implied a different meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment