Monday, November 8, 2010

Marriage and Love

Reading “Marriage and Love” for me was a somewhat frustrating reading for me.  I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion but I totally disagree with what she had to say.  She could feel this way because of the household she came from and how she was raised but I feel totally different from what Emma Goldman expressed.  “Marriage and love have nothing in common; they are as far apart as the poles; are, in fact, antagonistic to each other.  No doubt some marriages have been the result of love.” I know there is a 50% chance that couples get divorced but I still believe that when most couples get married they are in love. My dad recently took a job in another state and is unable to come home often so every other weekend my mom goes by him and every other week during the summer I went by my dad. I feel that if my parents didn’t love each other and they wouldn’t make an effort to see each other, talk to each other and express our love for each other.  Our family has always been passionate, caring, and loving; so all these concepts that she states are difficult to grasp because of different viewpoints and standings on the issue of love.  I also disagree that the husband makes the house a prison. Our house was a safe haven, a place we knew we could always come back to for support, love, and shelter.  Possibly she feels this way because of the way she was raised and I’m not saying her opinion is wrong but sometimes its frustrating reading articles such as this that are strongly opinionated and contrary to my beliefs. I was raised that love does exist and that when you get married a house just isn’t a house but a home.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! I think that back then people got married before love, because of arranged marriages, but in this day in age love comes first more often than not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you as well. Back then arranged marriages were probably more common so yeah they wouldn't have been in love but now people marry because they are in love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you too! Marriage is about love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marriage and love should go hand and hand, but that's not often the case. Some marry because they get pregnant, or settle because they can't find anybody else, and there are still arrange marriages today. Other marry because of a drunken night in Vegas, or they need a green card, or they're on the rebound. There are lots of reasons/causes for marriage, but I agree that people should only marry if they are in love.

    ReplyDelete