Sunday, September 19, 2010

Response to "A Day Without Feminism"

I was of fond the reading A Day Without Feminism by Jennifer Baumgarder and Amy Richards, it really made me appreciate all the things that women are able to do now, compared to 40 years ago.  Rarely being denied anything I have wanted to do or participate in during my lifetime. Reading this article made me appreciate all the things I am able to do such as: sports, attending school and picking my career, and being able to vote.  Being an athlete ever since grade school I can’t imagine what I would do with my spare time had I been denied this opportunity. Another aspect I would say I take advantage of is the opportunity to be in college, even though now women are accepted into almost all universities in our country; around the world many women are denied an education all together.  Another aspect that I feel fortunate about is the ability to pick my own career; according to the reading women were expected to have majors in teaching, home economics, or maybe a language. We are granted to be in the military and be just more than a nurse but to choose what we want to do.  There are more job opportunities offered to men and women and businesses are discouraged against discriminating on sexes, compared to the 1970’s and previous years.  A huge revolution in this country was the opportunity for women to vote and have our voices be heard in our government.  Personally, I would have to say I take a lot of these opportunities that we are given for granted, due to the fact of never being denied any that were faced previous to the 1970’s. This article definitely shed a new light on how fortunate the women in our generation and how much our country has evolved in 40 years to attempt to make our country have more equal opportunities for men and women. 

No comments:

Post a Comment